Monday, January 12, 2015

Welcome to TE 803!

Welcome to the home stretch of your teaching internship!  As I say in the TE 803 syllabus, I look forward to walking with you on your journey towards becoming a teacher. I hope we can explore ideas both old and new together, and bring life to them through our practice.

This is the first time I have taught this particular course. I am in my eighth year as an associate professor at MSU. I love living in East Lansing, especially basketball games at the Breslin. I bike to campus each day. The weather here is actually quite nice when compared to where I grew up! In short, I like this place a lot.

I grew up in central Minnesota (Brainerd, for those who have seen Fargo). I went to the University of Chicago, where I was a philosophy major. After that, I taught English for two years in eastern Hungary (see my school here). Subsequently, I taught in northern Minnesota at Indus High School for four years (secondary social studies, k-12 gifted talented, philosophy and cinema courses). I received my PhD in education from the University of Minnesota in 2007.

I am the proud father of three children, Gus (seven years old), Teddy (five years old), and Mary Rose (15 months). My wife, Molly, is an assistant prosecutor for Ingham County. At a time where many people continue to struggle to get by, I feel very fortunate.

This blog is part of my TE 803 course (Professional Roles and Teaching Practice), but all are welcome to read and comment. For more information on my work as a researcher, teacher, and as the Secretary and Treasurer of the John Dewey Society, please visit my homepage: http://greenwalt.wiki.educ.msu.edu/.


No comments:

Post a Comment